Recipe and Photos: Omar Arellano
This week’s Sunday Best newsletter features a great recipe to share with the family. Omar Arellano perfected his smoked barbacoa for us and even created a playlist to pair with it. The only thing that could possibly make this experience better is an ice cold Big Red in hand. Try it yourself and tag Omar (@comidaradio) and The Bend Magazine (@thebendmag) so we can see how you’re enjoying the recipe. Happy eating!
- Add a thick layer of aluminum foil to the bottom of your Dutch oven, at least 6 layers of foil. Be sure to cover the entire space your beef cheeks will fill.
- In your Dutch oven, place the onions and garlic on the bottom. Add the beefs cheeks on top of that then cover with 2 cups of beef stock
- Heat your BBQ pit to 300 degrees and then place your Dutch oven uncovered on indirect heat for 1 hour
- Add an additional 2 cups of beef stock to the Dutch oven then cover. Next, surround your Dutch oven with hot coals and leave for 3 hours
- Once done, let your meat rest for 30 minutes, pull and enjoy