Did you know Budget Blinds of Greater Corpus Christi has aligned itself with the Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) for over 15 years? Our team is dedicated to providing you with a safer home for your children by offering several options for child-friendly window treatments. These coverings include cordless blinds and shades with a retractable lift, as well as motorized shades that have a cordless operation, and of course, shutters.
According to the US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), children aged between 7 months and 10 years old are most susceptible to experiencing strangulation by window cords. Additionally, children can also suffer from injuries of near strangulations due to window cords.
Recommendations for Replacing Your Blinds
The WCMA recommends replacing any window coverings made before 2001. Opting for safer options like cordless window coverings is highly recommended. Child safety is an important focus for our team at Budget Blinds and we will work alongside you to ensure that your newborn or toddler lives in the safest environment possible. We understand fully that accidents happen and want to provide you with peace of mind when it comes to helping you avoid any dangerous obstacles or threats corded blinds may potentially pose.
Keeping Your Kids Safe Around Window Coverings
At Budget Blinds of Greater Corpus Christi, we know how important it is that your children be able to roam free around your home without safety being an issue. We recommend that you:
- Keep cords and chains far out of reach. Ladder and lift cords that run through the slats of the blinds pose a threat to the safety of your younger children as they can pull them out and become quickly entangled.
- Avoid tying, looping, or knotting cords together. If you’re dealing with cords in an area of your home where your children spend a lot of time, it’s best to replace your corded treatments with completely cordless window treatments.
- Keep children and pets away from windows. Move furniture or toys that are close to your windows away so that children aren’t tempted to climb on them and get close to these areas.
The Best Types of Window Treatments For Families
- Cordless Shades and Blinds. Cordless shades and blinds are one of the safest options for families to choose if there are children aged 10 and under in their homes. If possible, window treatments with draperies and cords should be replaced if they were manufactured before 2001.
- Roller Shades. Roller shades are another one of the safest options for window shades in your child’s room. These shades are not only great at diffusing light but can also be raised and lowered by just tugging on the end of the shade.
- Motorized Shades. These types of shades avoid the risk to children and pets because they don’t have exposed cords and add a high convenience factor. Use an app on your smartphone, laptop, or remote that is connected to your home’s internet hub to control them. These are also a great option for those who have larger windows that are difficult to reach.
- Composite Shutters. Composite shutters are safe for children because they too like the rest of these options are cordless, but, can elevate the style of your home while remaining timeless. They are cost-effective to wood shutters and are extremely durable.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective option, try Budget Blinds of Greater Corpus Christi today! Our team serves the Coastal Bend area as the number one team of window-covering experts and we are committed to providing premium quality window fashions at an affordable rate. From classics like wood blinds and interior shutters to new-age best-sellers like motorized blinds and solar shades, our local, in-house design consultants are here to offer their expertise to help child-proof your home. Call us today at 361-252-0739 for your totally free in-home consultation.