By: Julianna Zavala Photo by: Lillian Reitz
I’ve learned a lot about makeup application, skincare routines, and hairstyling techniques throughout the years. I’ve also committed some truly heinous beauty crimes—the most detrimental being shaving between my eyebrows. One silly boy tells me I have a unibrow in middle school and my naturally full and beautiful brows are forever gone.
As I’ve grown up, I’ve realized that having self-confidence allows your true beauty to shine through. This is something I have to remind myself of daily. Self-confidence doesn’t necessarily come easy, but you should always tell yourself that you are worth it and that you matter. Believing in oneself is what beauty means to me.
Inner beauty and self-love come first, but I’m a huge fan of any product that makes me feel better on the outside! Some days I don’t wear a stitch of makeup; however, the days I put in that extra effort, I feel more prepared to take on whatever the day throws at me. In addition to my go-to products, there are a few local services I have tried and loved. I had my eyebrows microbladed at Bloom Beauty Studio several months ago, and it was such a game-changer. Another one of my favorite glow ups is getting eyelash extensions. I always feel like a million bucks after I get a volume set at Halie Rocha Lashes. She is amazing and saves me from multiple coats of mascara and messy glue on strip lashes. I also try to schedule regular facials at the Corpus Christi Institute of Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery Med Spa to keep my skin at its best. As for specific products, these are my current go-tos.
- Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector – With highlights and all of the heat styling, this treatment is always included in my regimen. It strengthens hair and reduces breakage. I try to put it on before each shampoo: I wet my hair, apply the product, and wrap my hair tightly with a slow cooker plastic liner! The plastic keeps it from drying, and I let it sit for a couple of hours before shampooing. (Available at Riptide)
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo – I wash my hair every 5-7 days, so dry shampoo is a must! This is by far my favorite one. It makes my hair look and feel fresh without leaving white residue on my dark roots. As an added bonus, it gives me a ton of fullness and texture. I always stock up when the holiday sets are released to save some money. (Available at Sephora)
- Atelier Dry Texturizing Spray – As my most-used hair product, I always keep an extra handy in my purse or car. I spray it on daily to complete each style. This spray leaves me with Texas-sized volume and just the right amount of hold. I also recommend Atelier Salon’s Brilliance and Moroccan Miracle. (Available at Atelier Salon)
- Dysport – I started getting Dysport injections in my forehead and glabellar lines when I turned 30, and it has been the best! My results are always significant, yet very natural. The injections are quick and easy. After a few days my forehead is so much smoother and more youthful. Dr. Vijay is an expert and does a wonderful job. (Available at CCICPS)
- Revision Skincare Soothing Facial Rinse – This toner gently cleans skin while also providing hydration. It contains antioxidants and balances skin’s pH. I apply the toner at night after I wash my face and it removes any leftover makeup or dirt. If I’m too lazy for serum and moisturizer, I can just use this and my skin is never dry or tight feeling. In the morning, I skip the face wash and begin my routine with this facial rinse as a refresher. (Available at CCICPS – new customers, mention my name for a discount!)
- Sunday Riley GOOD GENES – I was very surprised at how well this product works, as I normally stick to medical-grade skincare. When I use this lactic acid treatment, my skin instantly transforms: The texture improves, pores appear smaller and cleaner, and overall looks more plump and glowing. It is a bit of a splurge; however, I’m really loving the results and recommend it if you’re looking to invest in new skincare. (Available at Dermstore)
- Home Dip Nails – I’ve been doing my own nails at home for almost four years now, and I haven’t paid for a nail salon visit since. It’s a fun hobby of mine and I love saving the money—there’s a bit of a learning curve, but it’s worth the practice. Many online retailers have beautiful powder colors, but Triple D makes my favorite liquids. I have some tutorials and inspo on my Instagram and Youtube Channel. (Available at TripleD Dod’s Dips and Decals)
- MAC Lip Pencil & Lipstick – Each time I wear lipstick I have to apply lip liner first. I love to over-line my lips slightly to give them a fuller look. A bit of setting powder over the liner helps to avoid smudges. My favorite everyday shade combo is Lip Pencil in Spice with Lipstick in Velvet Teddy. For fall, Lip Pencil in Soar paired with Lipstick in Twig is gorgeous. (Available at MAC Cosmetics )
- sunbetter TONESMART SPF 68 Sunscreen Compact – Would you believe that this product has replaced all of my high-end foundations? It’s a creamy compact that gives me good coverage, blurring effects, and sun protection, and is super bendable. I use it every day and truly love it. The convenience is another selling point for me, as it’s so easy to throw in my purse for quick touch-ups. You can also layer it under foundation if you prefer full coverage. (Available at CCICPS)
- Natasha Denona Glam Eyeshadow Palette – This palette really has it all! The stunning collection of shades can be used to create natural, smokey, and super glam looks. The shadow formula is highly pigmented and blends effortlessly, and I appreciate that the 15 shades are named after the ideal place to apply them (e.g., inner corner, crease, brow bone, and lash line). I like to apply the metallic shades to my eyelid with my finger for a dramatic glittery pop. (Available at Sephora)