Alissa Peña's Go-To Beauty Routine - The Bend Magazine

Alissa Peña’s Go-To Beauty Routine

An inside look at the salsa queen’s never-fail self-care routine

By: Alissa Peña  Photo by: Lillian Reitz

As a small business owner, I spend 90% of my time focused on my salsa company and every possible way to drive sales, stay inspired in the kitchen, and put a little spice in everyone’s life. The other 10% is my own time, and I am fiercely devoted to squeezing every last drop of goodness out of it! 

I revel in my self-care time after large markets or a long cooking week by bringing all of the big energy way, way down and recharging with a great Kundalini yoga session, a long hot bath with fun bath bombs, oils in the diffuser, and meditation music playing all through my house. 


This time is mine and I find it downright mandatory after busting my butt all week. I’ll let a pot of savory soup simmer on the stove all day while I putter around with a Korean face mask on, watering plants and tidying up. No news, no TV, and minimal phone time help me clear the clutter in my mind so I can sit and meditate with the excess noise completely drained out. 

I’ve recently started walking meditations that allow me some extra time out with my sweet Gouda girl, a 95lb American Bulldog who likes my down days as much as I do. Nighttime on these days includes a longer than usual skincare routine, sometimes a hair mask, but always without fail is a guided sleep meditation through a Bluetooth headband that has become an obsession. Let’s just say that if my inner world is peaceful, then I have a much better time controlling the heat in my salsa, if you know what I mean. 

Mediheal NMF Intensive Hydrating Mask 

After 8 hours with your face over huge steaming pots of simmering chilies, these skin-quenching Korean face masks are a magical, cooling hug for your face. Available at online retailers

Epielle Beauty Intensive Repairing Gloves 

I’m a hand washing freak. I didn’t need a pandemic to teach me that hand washing is essential and I take it very seriously—just ask my sisters! These gloves use coconut oil, milk extract, and hyaluronic acid to make sure my hands don’t give away my age … Shhhh! Available at online retailers

Ananda Professional Full Spectrum CBD Oil 

This oil from Kelly’s Pharmacy and Compounding has quite literally been a game-changer. After having an ischemic stroke 6 years ago, I struggled with blinding migraines on a weekly basis until Dr. Kelly turned me on to this oil. One dropper under the tongue twice a day staves them off and leaves me calm without being groggy or needing to take prescription meds that wreaked (even more!) havoc on my liver. Available at Kelly’s Pharmacy and Compounding

Eva Naturals Skin Clearing Serum 

I dropped the overly complex—and expensive—skincare routine and brought it back to basics. A simple foaming cleanser followed by this organic serum with vitamin C, salicylic acid, and retinol helps keep my adult acne at bay while smelling gorgeously indulgent. I order a new one when it’s only half gone because I love it so much. Available at Eva Naturals

Eva Naturals Peptide Complex Serum

The same company makes this collagen stimulating and skin-repairing serum to smooth wrinkles and fine lines. Yes, please. Available at Eva Naturals

Palmer’s Skin Therapy Oil 

This one I use on a daily basis. I mix in a few drops of ginger essential oil for a lymphatic draining neck massage using my gua sha tools or a few drops of lavender oil with this after a hot shower before bed. Bliss. Available at H-E-B

Kiss Lash Couture in Corset 

Anyone who knows me knows I have been wearing false lashes for 10+ years. I went the extension route and spent hundreds of dollars, but nothing compares to these flirty lashes for $7. I love the lightweight feel, and they have the perfect amount of va-va-voom I want. Available at Ulta Beauty

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Seoul

My signature purple lip! If you’ve seen me out recently, you know I’m obsessed with this color. I don’t do anything just a little bit, and this statement lip color is no exception. Line the full lip with a slightly darker shade for maximum impact and long-lasting wear. Available at H-E-B

Haus Laboratories Liquid Eye-Lie-Ner in Punk Black

This 24-hour felt tip liner is matter than matte and has a flexible tip that can take me from a little definition to Amy Winehouse in two seconds flat. Available at Haus Laboratories