5 Best: Aguas Frescas
By Julieta Hernandez
By: Julieta Hernandez Photo by: Rachel Benavides
Our sweet coastal summertimes would be incomplete without indulging on the traditional Mexican beverage, agua fresca. The delightful drink is a light, healthy refresher that brings the best out of fruit in every ice-cold swig. You can trust the best ones to be made by small, locally owned shops in the area: Here are some of our favorites.
1. La Paletera’s bright and fruity theme advertises that it’s a go-to for this one. Since they specialize in fruit-based sweet-tooth cravings, the seasonal fruits that go into their agua fresca selection delve into the sweeter side. With two locations in the city, the variety is wide, depending on what fruits are growing best this time of year.
2701 Morgan Ave #200, Corpus Christi, TX 78405
2. La Michoacana on Ayers Street mixes in the authenticity for their flavors, including the fan-favorite cantaloupe. With the amount of fresh fruit and produce inside this market, it only makes sense their fruit beverages stay abundant. While shopping for authentic spices or tamales, hydrate with their selection.
4214 Ayers Street, Corpus Christi, TX 78415
3. Jefe’s Mobile Cafe can be found around town at various locations and for certain events, and we’re glad we are able to track them down when we do, because their summer flavors for agua frescas have our mouths watering. Paired with the rest of the menu, Jefe’s two flavors of agua frescas will complete any order. Limon, however, definitely pairs best with their beef tacos.
4. The Trade Center never disappoints: among all the wonderful stands to satisfy our cravings, multiple exist for the sole purpose of getting us the freshest of the aguas frescas in colorful varieties. Cucumber melon can be found here, and if that doesn’t make your shopping more vibrant, opt for the cantaloupe.
2833 S Padre Island Dr, Corpus Christi, TX 78415
5. Taco Bar Street on The Island has a way to make us savor the island even more: with their lime and horchata flavors, carried with them on their mobile haven of comfort food. A fresh horchata on the island with a taco in your hand just spells summertime, and we’re grateful that Taco Bar Street gets the vision.